Friday, April 29, 2016

Dynamic Movement Orthotic DMO


Peter Parker: [voiceover] Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words: "With great power comes great responsibility." This is my gift, my curse. Who am I? I'm Spider-man.

And to this I say, to the parent of a child with great responsibility, comes the search for great gear.

This was a two-year search process to get this custom-made orthotic.  Remember the old fashioned hard shell back braces?  

Hayden has what is known as neuromuscular scoliosis. He has a diagnosis called hypotonia. Because of this, his muscle tone is weak and he has a hard time holding his posture straight.  His scoliosis increases as he ages with low muscle tone and poor posture it becomes a vicious cycle of managing symptoms.  The hope is that this suit will help give him added strength for his posture and slow down the progress of his scoliosis and delay rod surgery.

I started this journey after reading a blog from a parent in London years ago. The child had a similar diagnosis and the suit seemed to work. Shortly thereafter, the brace came to the United States through Boston Brace.  My search for an orthopedic in Austin that would prescribe this brace was exhausting. None have ever done it and his current doctors didn't want to be the first.

Finally, I contacted the manufacturer and they recommended a doctor in San Antonio. After several long trips and appointments back-and-forth, we finally got to pick up the product yesterday.


The suit is entirely custom-made. Every inch of his body was measured. Each panel contains different strengths of elasticity to help support his posture.

His name is even on the tag.  I don't think the real Spiderman suit was designed or made as well as this one.  In case you don't see the theme, AFO's (ankle-foot orthotics) are also Spiderman as well as his nifty Spiderman shoes. He is so proud and we are so happy to possibly prolong his need for spinal rod surgery.

This is the latest and greatest.
He will mainly where this at bedtime while he is relaxed along with knee immobilizers but minus the mask.

2 comments:

  1. Just wonderful, Adrienne~! Can't wait to hear how he likes it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
    Knee Immobilizer

    Keep Posting:)

    ReplyDelete